FROM THE AMERICAN HOSPITAL ASSOCIATION
Since the COVID-19 outbreak began, the American Hospital Association has worked closely with the CDC, and other federal, state and local partners to respond to this challenge and to make sure hospitals and health systems have the most up-to-date information.
As the COVID-19 outbreak evolves, hospitals and health systems know our patients and communities are increasingly concerned whether and how the virus is spreading in communities. Hospitals and health systems are:
- Identifying, isolating and informing local public health officials about new cases of patients known or suspected of having the virus.
- Following CDC recommendations on how to best use and preserve existing supplies of personal protective equipment due to concerns about limited supplies.
- Protecting health care workers on the front lines, ensuring they have the personal protective equipment, training and support they need to provide care to patients.
For the latest news and information to effectively stay informed about and address the crisis, visit AHA.org/COVID19.
- Workforce and Staffing Support Options During COVID-19 Surge
- COVID-19 Pathways to Recovery: Considerations and Resources to Guide Hospitals and Health Systems
- FBI, CISA warn of serious nation state cyber threats, other top vulnerabilities
- COVID-19: Stress and Coping Resources
- NBAA Humanitarian Emergency Response Operator (HERO) Database
Find a list of people in the business aviation community who are part of disaster-response mobilization efforts that connect supplies and services with hospitals across the country.
- HealthEquipTM App - Protecting People Everywhere
HealthEquipTM is a smart app that will match individuals and organizations donating PPE with local hospitals based on needs-criteria. The app also will track PPE donations and manage shipping through UPS to hospitals.
- AHA-AMA Cyber Resource for Remote Work
The American Hospital Association and American Medical Association developed this guide for physicians, and hospitals and health systems on protecting remote work environments from cyber criminals during COVID-19.
- Support and coordination of workforce shortages
National-level and other workforce efforts.
- Neurosequential Network: NN COVID-19 Stress, Distress & Trauma Series
The videos in this series with Dr. Bruce Perry cover stress and distress in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Waivers Related to Workforce
In order to allow hospitals and health systems to expand the health care workforce, CMS has allowed additional flexibility by taking actions during the emergency.
- HHS highlights civil rights protections during COVID-19 emergency.
The Health and Human Services' Office for Civil Rights, March 28, issued a bulletin to ensure that entities covered by civil rights authorities keep in mind their obligations under laws and regulations that prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, and exercise of conscience and religion in HHS-funded programs, including in the provision of health care services during COVID-19.
- 100 Million Mask Challenge - A national call to action to increase production of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- CARES Act Financial Resources to Assist Hospitals and Health Systems during COVID-19 Crisis
ASHHRA members play a critical role in supporting and leading the hospital and health system workforce as they care for our communities. We are thinking of you during these unprecedented times. With the recent coronavirus outbreak, many organizations have provided helpful information on their web sites and on social media, including information on washing hands, what to do if someone is experiencing symptoms, when to wear / not wear masks, and links to the CDC and/or the WHO for the most recent information about the virus.
- Discussions with ASHHRA and Littler: Impacts of COVID-19 on Health Care HR
- Discuss COVID-19 issues or share sample materials with your peers: ASHHRA Exchange
- On-Demand Education: Health Care Workers at the Center of the COVID-19 Storm (Free for ASHHRA Members)
- On-Demand Education: Emergency Preparedness for HR Professionals
- COVID-19: Considerations for Health Care Human Resources and Operational Leaders
Helpful Links and Resources for Health Care HR Professionals:
- Brave of Heart Fund
The Fund will offer financial support to the families of health care workers who lose their lives to COVID-19.
- Hospital Experiences Responding to the COVID-19 Pandemic: Results of a National Pulse Survey March 23–27, 2020 Office of Inspector General, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
- Preparing for the Post-COVID-19 Health Care Landscape: A SHSMD Resource Digest Society for Health Care Strategy and Market Development (SHSMD)
- COVID-19 Pandemic Response: Nursing Home PPE Packages FEMA
- Find your state or territory health department: USA.gov/state-health
- Health Workforce Technical Assistance Center (HWTAC)
- What You Should Know About COVID-19 and the ADA, the Rehabilitation Act, and Other EEO Laws EEOC
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Frequently Asked Questions for Health Care Employers Prepared by Littler’s Healthcare Industry Practice Group
- Joint Commission Statement on Use of Face Masks Brought from Home The Joint Commission
While The Joint Commission has weighed in with their approval on employees utilizing PPE brought from home, the decision appears to limited to organizations who cannot provide their employees with the PPE that is routinely needed. Your organization's decision to allow employees to do so is an organizational decision that should not be taken lightly from a safety and liability perspective.
- COVID-19 FAQs for Obstetrician-Gynecologists, Obstetrics American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG)
- Interim Considerations for Infection Prevention and Control of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Inpatient Obstetric Healthcare Settings CDC
- Information for Healthcare Providers: COVID-19 and Pregnant Women CDC
- Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Questions and Answers DOL.gov
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Government response to coronavirus, COVID-19 USA.gov
- Emergency and Disaster Prepareness USA.gov
- Workload Indicators of Staffing Need: User's Manual WHO
- Preparing for a Pandemic Harvard Business Review
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Hospital Preparedness Assessment Tool CDC
- COVID-19 OSHA